By Stephanie He

Many international students have work experience when they study in school. It is good experience for getting a good job after graduating. For the international students, this is the most important point to get a formal job in the United States. Some students have an internship in school; other students have a part-time job during their studies. Not only they can get work experience, but they also can earn some money to decrease the financial burden on their parents. In the competitive school environment, getting a part-time job on campus is rare for international students.

By Stephanie He

Many international students have work experience when they study in school. It is good experience for getting a good job after graduating. For the international students, this is the most important point to get a formal job in the United States. Some students have an internship in school; other students have a part-time job during their studies. Not only they can get work experience, but they also can earn some money to decrease the financial burden on their parents. In the competitive school environment, getting a part-time job on campus is rare for international students.

I have been studying in the United States one and a half years, but I still do not have any work experience. At St. Cloud State University, international students cannot work off campus, they just can work on campus, and also only a few jobs are available. With winter vacation nearing, some students will be graduating. Certainly, some jobs will be available for next semester. This time I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Like the current job market in society, there are not enough jobs to go around for the students on campus. All the applications will be First Come First Serve. I have to occupy a position on the top of the applicant list in order to get a job. So I prepared to wait in front of the career office with my friends all night to get on the top of the list. 

Because the office opened at 8 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving, we got some sleep and woke up at Thanksgiving night around 10 p.m., brought our all books and some stuff to keep warm outside while we waited. We realized that would be a hard night. For getting a part-time job on campus, we were prepared to take this challenge. When we arrived at the office building, the door was locked; we could not enter the building, so we just waited outside. We lined up to keep warm in sub-zero temperatures. Around four hours later, there were four students from India who came towards us. They also came here to get the top positions. When we told them we stayed all night, they were shocked. They thought they would be the first group. 

As time went on, more students came to wait for the career office to open. By 6 a.m., there was a long line in front of the building. My friends and I were the first the group; we thought everything we had done was worth it.

Finally, I am in the first group of applicants. I do not know whether I will be hired. It is up to the employers. This is a competitive society; I have to be prepared for competition in the future. This opportunity was a good experience for me.

Terms Of Use

Terms of Use All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher. For permission requests, contact [email protected] with subject line “Permission request.”

About

CHINAINSIGHT (CI) is published monthly ((except July/August and November/December are combined) by China Insight, Inc., an independent, privately owned company started in 2001 and headquartered in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota.

CHINAINSIGHT is the only English-language American newspaper to focus exclusively on connections between the United States and the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

Our goal is to develop a mutual understanding of each other’s cultures and business environments and to foster U.S.-China cultural and business harmony.