Kila Panchot and Ana Ford attended Minhua-MCA Chinese Camp for a week this summer and agreed to share their experiences with ChinaInsight. The two friends are sixth graders at Name of Charter School. They are both Chinese American adoptees.

Kila Panchot and Ana Ford attended Minhua-MCA Chinese Camp for a week this summer and agreed to share their experiences with ChinaInsight. The two friends are sixth graders at Name of Charter School. They are both Chinese American adoptees.

MinHua-MCA Chinese Camp 2010 

By Kila Panchot 

When I went to MCA Chinese Camp I had a lot of fun, but there was some things that I didn’t like about it and stuff that I really liked. Here is what I liked and didn’t. 

Things I liked about MCA Chinese Camp

●      How you got to pick your two different afternoon classes.

●      All of the teachers were from China and they were all nice.

●      I really liked the Chinese Watercolor Painting class and the teacher.

●      I liked how sometimes they played games with you so that you would remember the facts you learned.

●      I liked how some teachers mixed a little of Chinese language in so you would learn a little Chinese.

●      I liked how they always had 2 counselors in your room with you. 

Things I didn’t like about MCA Chinese Camp

●      I didn’t like how some teachers spoke all or almost all Chinese, because I did not know how to speak Chinese.

●      I didn’t like how they made it a lot like school.

●      I didn’t like how they put you with way younger kids than you.

●      I didn’t like how I was never really with my friends, except when we had our lunch break. 

Ways I think they could make it better

●      They could ask if all of the students knew Chinese.

●      I think they could make it less like school by playing more games when they teach you different things.

●      I think they should group you with your same age group so you wouldn’t be with way younger kids than you.

●      I think that you should be able to make sure that I was in my friend’s group.

Minnesota China Academy 

By Ana Ford 

My Experience: MCA camp is really fun! This was my first time there and it was great! I got to hang out with some of my old friends and even make new ones. 

What Happens: On the first day everyone gets a camp t-shirt, a passport, and Chinese starter money. (The money is copied.) Everyone starts out in one classroom and when they are all there you go to your own classroom. In the morning you do camp warm-ups and a camp song. After you learn about a certain topic and you try to remember what you’ve learned because the counselors quiz you. (Every day you switch rooms and subjects with another class.) If you get the answer right, you earn more Chinese money. 

Money: When you earn your money, you get to go to the camps shop during lunch time. (If you have a blue name tag on, you get to shop on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you have a red name tag you get to shop on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.) 

Counselors: There are counselors that will help anyone through the whole week. They’re high school students who are from China and able to speak Chinese very well.

Classes: For the classes you get to choose from five categories: kung-fu, watercolor painting, flute, paper-cutting, and Go. (You only get to do two of these activities) Everyone has their classes after the lunch break. 

What I liked: I liked it all! You get to do really fun things like playing games and acting out plays like “The Tortoise and the Hare”. (We had to do the play in Chinese!)

What I would like to change: The instructors speaking Chinese a little too much and sometimes a couple of us didn’t understand, it would kind of be nice if you were able to be in the same class with your friends because they put you in the class that’s available when you sign up. 

I really liked this camp and would love to come back next year.

Terms Of Use

Terms of Use All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher. For permission requests, contact [email protected] with subject line “Permission request.”

About

CHINAINSIGHT (CI) is published monthly ((except July/August and November/December are combined) by China Insight, Inc., an independent, privately owned company started in 2001 and headquartered in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota.

CHINAINSIGHT is the only English-language American newspaper to focus exclusively on connections between the United States and the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

Our goal is to develop a mutual understanding of each other’s cultures and business environments and to foster U.S.-China cultural and business harmony.